25.11.16 Renters at real risk from deadly gas appliances

Posted on November 25, 2016
Archive : November 2016
Category : News

Over one fifth (21%) of gas appliances in privately rented accommodation are unsafe according to an investigation by the Gas Safe Register, the official list of gas engineers who are registered to work safely and legally on boilers, cookers, fires and all other gas appliances. Gas heaters have been found to be the most dangerous appliance in rented accommodation, accounting for the majority (59%) of all unsafe appliances. The findings come from the 122,000 inspections carried out by the Gas Safe Register over the last five years which also show that more unsafe appliances have been found in rented accommodation than in privately owned homes. With the winter weather already here renters are relying on these unsafe gas appliances to keep themselves warm and it is a legal requirement for every landlord to have them checked annually to ensure that their tenants are not only warm but also safe.

dangerous gas appliances

Learn the signs of unsafe gas appliances which can include:
• A lazy yellow flame instead of a crisp blue flame
• Soot or staining on or around the appliance
• Excess condensation in the room

Learn the symptoms of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning:
• Headaches and dizziness,
• Nausea and breathlessness,
• Collapse and loss of consciousness
As CO has no smell, taste or colour these symptoms can be easily mistaken for something else.

If you smell gas or think there might be a gas leak, call National Gas Emergency immediately on 0800 111 999

Source: Professional Heating & Plumbing Installer – to read the complete PHPI Online article please click here

RECENT POSTS
CATEGORIES
ARCHIVES